- Screen Colours:
- Black & Yellow
Information at November 2018
Chairperson: David Traher
Clerk: Frances Lewis
Contact details: 11 Church Meadow, Barton Mills, IP28 6AR. Home phone: 01638 713155. Email: email@example.com
The Clerk is the main point of contact.
Trustees: Rev'd Sandie Barton, Dave Traher, Faith Rutterford, Barry Klatt, Derek Judd, Amin Harji, Alan Butcher
Number of Trustees: 7
This is a charity whose full name is “The Maria Louisa Burrell Charity of Barton Mills”. It started from a fund set up in 1920 by Maria Louisa Burrell in memory of her husband, Percy Burrell to establish and endow “a Workmens' Club Reading and Recreation Room in the Parish of Barton Mills”. The building that was that Reading Room is now a private home at 54 The Street, and it is still sometimes referred to as “The Old Reading Room”.
In 1958 the present charity was set up with some existing funds and money from the sale of the property and was registered with the Charity Commission. Its charity number is 208752 and it has a formal constitution.
The Trustees are “seven competent persons” specified as The Rector and two Churchwardens of St Mary, Barton Mills, and the Chairman of the Parish Council of Barton Mills, together with three co-optative trustees being persons residing or carrying on business in or near the Parish of Barton Mills. At present, these three people are Faith Rutterford, Barry Klatt and Derek Judd.
The capital funds of the charity are invested in shares with the Charities Official Investment Funds (COIF). The income may only be used for very specific purposes i.e. “in or towards the upkeep, maintenance and repair of any building in the Parish of Barton Mills which is used as a village hall or in or towards the upkeep and maintenance of any recreation ground in the said parish”. In effect, this means that funds can only be used for the Village Hall and the playing field. At their meetings, the Trustees consider any requests that are sent to them for funds for these areas.