Barton Mills is a village and civil parish in the Forest Heath district of Suffolk, England. The village is on the south bank of the River Lark. According to Eilert Ekwall the meaning of the village name is Corn farm by the mill. The village was originally called Barton Parva or Little Barton. However, travellers from London to Norwich used the village as a half way house. Not knowing the real name for the village it affectionately became known as the Barton Mills. Hence the modern name we know now.
The Domesday Book records the population of Barton Mills in 1086 to be 24.
The village is near the Fiveways Roundabout which is within the parish of Barton Mills.
The village was once the holiday retreat for Alexander Fleming, and there is a plaque on the wall outside his country home in the main street.
Barton Mills previously enjoyed the celebration of the bi annual Scarecrow Festival, The two day-long festival which included musical bands, food, dancing, car boot sales at the local playing fields, and of course, the viewing of scarecrows created by any resident who wished to do so. This festival has also been featured in Guinness Book of World Records, boasting the most scarecrows ever built at any one time.